Mr. Steven H. Meyer is a Partner in the Orlando office of CPLS, P.A. He is a member of the Firm’s Civil Litigation and Class Action Groups.
Mr. Meyer primarily handles catastrophic personal injury, product liability, medical malpractice cases, and complex commercial litigation matters. He has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients of six and seven figures. He has lectured frequently on trial practice.
With more than 27 years of practical experience as a lawyer and business advisor, Mr. Meyer is a proven problem solver, and a valuable asset for companies seeking guidance on their corporate structure, partnership and shareholder issues, employment issues, vendor contracts, and better business practices.
Mr. Meyer is a Florida Bar Board Certified expert in two practice areas—Civil Trial Law and Business Litigation. Board Certification is The Florida Bar’s highest honor, and signifies an attorney’s breadth and depth of expertise in a particular field, including high ethical standards. Only 7% of all attorneys in Florida are board certified, and fewer than 1% are board certified in two areas of practice. Not only is Mr. Meyer certified in Business Litigation, he also formerly served on, and chaired, the nine-member Business Litigation Certification Committee, which writes and grades exams for Florida lawyers who wish to become board certified in that field.
Mr. Meyer holds a J.D. from Boston University School of Law and a B.A. in History (cum laude) from Wesleyan University. In addition, he speaks French and Spanish, is a Member of Mensa (the “High IQ Society”), and appeared as a contestant on the television show “Jeopardy.” In 2000, he was a member of the team of lawyers representing then Vice President Al Gore in the disputed Presidential Election recounts in Florida.
Concurrently, Mr. Meyer has been a chair and line umpire for the men’s and women’s professional tennis tours for nearly twenty years. The approximately 300 top level tennis officials in the country elected him to their five-member representative body, on which committee he served for many years.
A native of upstate New York, Mr. Meyer has lived and practiced law in Florida for more than 20 years. His wife, Julia, is a professor at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law (including partnership and shareholder disputes and franchise disputes)
- Class Action (State and Federal Court)
- Employment Law (overtime and wage claims)
- Commercial Litigation
- Condo Association Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Fair Debt Practices Litigation
- Homeowners Association Litigation
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation
- Probate Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Medical and Other Professional Malpractice
- Personal Injury Law (including maritime and cruise ship injuries)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Florida, 1997
- Connecticut, 1989
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by The Florida Bar
- Board Certified in Business Litigation by The Florida Bar
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- J.D. from Boston University, 1989
- B.A. from Wesleyan University, 1986
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- Palm Beach County Justice Association
- Orange County Trial Lawyers’ Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers’ Association