Paternity and Father’s Rights

What Are Paternity Actions?

Who can file a Paternity Action?

Paternity Actions are filed by men who want to be recognized as a child’s father, secure his parenting rights, ensure that the child’s best interest are protected, and ensure that this child has the support he/she needs. Paternity Actions are also filed by women who want judicial recognition of paternity for their child, set a stable parenting plan and receive child support.

Who can file an action?

  • Any woman who is pregnant or has a child, or
  • A man who has reason to believe that he is the father of a child.

Once paternity is established, the court may determine custody (time sharing schedule and parenting plans), payment of child support (present and retroactive), payment of attorney fees, and costs of bringing the action.

Establishing Paternity Rights for Men

About Legal Paternity

Although having one’s name on a child’s birth certificate does not legally establish paternity, it can be used. Legal paternity can only be established through a paternity agreement (time sharing schedule and parenting plans) signed by both parties, or by a court action.

If an individual believes he is not the father of a child, he may contest a child support order through a paternity action. In this action, the mother, potential father, and child may need to submit to a DNA test for genetics testing to determine the father’s identity. We will represent you through the paternity action and inform you of your rights as a father. What you are entitled to legally if paternity was established.

We Fight for Paternity Rights for Men

Let Our Team Personally Guide You Through The Legal Maze

Our firm can analyze your particular situation and determine the best course of action to establish paternity. Following a successful action, our firm assists with implementing visitation (time sharing) schedules and modifications in child custody (time sharing schedule and parenting plans).

If you believe you are the father of a child and wish to ascertain fathers’ rights; or if you believe you are not the father and wish to contest child support orders, we can help guide you through the process.

Contact CPLS attorneys at 407-647-7887 or 877-647-7887 to learn more about Men’s Rights.