Name Change

The need for a legal name change may result from marriage, divorce, adoption or simply a desire to have another name.  Generally,  (a)  you cannot change your name for a fraudulent purpose, such as avoiding debts. (b)  other people’s rights cannot be affected such as celebrities,  (c)  use of a curse word as a name would not be recommended; and,  (d)  when a minor is involved, the court looks to the best interest of the minor.

Means of changing your name generally include:  (a)  Usage – In some states using a name as your own has the affect of making it your legal name. (b)  Court Order – A Court order is recommended to change your name and is required by most states. (c)   A marriage certificate serves as proof of name change.

After you have changed your name you may need to change records including: (a) Social Security Card, (b) Drivers License, (c) Passport, (d) Post Office, (e) IRS, (f) Voter Registration, (g) Banks, (h) Credit Cards, (i) Doctors (j) Insurance Companies, (k) State Tax Authority, (l) Clubs, (m) Memberships, (n) Employer; and, (o) Retirement plans.  You will also need to consider changing your (a) Will, (b) Health Care Proxy, (c) Living Will, (d) Trust, (e) Power of Attorney; and, (f) Contracts.

To find out how we can help you change your name, please contact us at 407-647-7887 or toll free 877-647-7887.